Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Game Wrap 9/26/2017: D'Backs 11 Giants 4

The Giants won this game 4-3..... except for the Matt Moore part.   Key Lines:

Tim Fedorowicz C- 2 for 3, HR(2).  BA= .250.  I won't be complaining if the Giants find a way to bring Nick Hundley back next year, but Fedex might give them pretty much the same thing at a lower price.  I'm a big Fedex fan!  I will say, though, that if he wants a big league career, he might want to drop a pound or 20 between now and next spring.  Wow!  That is one big dude tamping down the infield dirt on his way around the bases!

Matt Moore LHP- 1.1 IP, 5 H, 8 R, 7 ER, 3 BB, 0 K.  ERA= 5.52.  We've seen more than our share of disappointing performances this season, but this line might be the most disappointing of all coming on the heels of some pretty good pitching and Bobby Evans announcing that the Giants would pick up his option.  It's hard to find words for this one.  I know there is a certain market out there for any veteran pitcher and Moore has had his moments, but my goodness!  If I'm Bobby Evans, I have to be reconsidering the promise to pick up that option.  Yeah, $9 M does not buy you much on the open baseball market these days, but couldn't it be put toward something, anything, else like maybe signing Tyler Chatwood?  It's just very hard to see any reason to be optimistic that Moore's recent success is at all sustainable after what we saw in this game.

Speaking of, maybe the Giants have already done their due diligence, but isn't it time to at least kick the tires on why this is happening?  Is he hurt?  Are there off-field issues?  Is he tipping pitches like I've suspected all season?  If you are about to invest $9 M in anything, I'd think you would want some answers not that I'm saying they don't.

Reyes Maronta RHP- 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K's.  ERA= 1.59.  Another impressive appearance for Maronta who is stating a real case to be a member of next year's Opening Day bullpen.

Kyle Crick RHP- 1 IP, 0 R, 0 B 2 BB, 1 K.  ERA= 3.16.  Cricky is nearing the finish line on a surprisingly successful season.  I'll have to go back and check but was he one of my top 50 prospects last winter?  Even Honorable Mention?

*********************************************************************************

The Giants Loss, coupled with a Phillies win, gave them sole possession of first place in the race for the #1 overall draft pick by 0.5 games over the Tigers and 1 game over the Phillies.  They lead the ChiSox by 2.5 games.

*********************************************************************************

Jeff Samardzija tries to end his season on an up note as he takes the mound for the series finale against D'Backs rookie Braden Shipley.

4 comments:

  1. I really don't see why they want to pick up Moore's option. There is not one starter worse in baseball. And he's the Giants all-time worst starter ERA for any full-time, full-season starter at 5.52 beating Kurt Rueters 1999, 5.41-ERA crap-fest. Just use the $9 million in FA. (I stole that from Pav.)

    The Giants, from what I've read, really like Maronata. I read that they're wanting him to up his conditioning and that he has a real chance of making the 25-man roster next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They want to pick up Moore's option because he has demonstrated in the past, and sometimes this year, that he can be very good. His stuff is so good and his past record so tantalizing that the team perhaps, along with DrB in this post (and me too), think there may be something wrong with him--injury, off-field issues, etc. We got bad work this year from Cueto and Melancon, and were able to pinpoint the problem for each, or so one hopes; the team now needs to do the same for Moore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Hunt for Last October:

    The Giants and Phillies have four games left and the Tigers five. We're a half-game ahead of the Tigers and a full game ahead of the Phillies in the race for the bottom. What's worrisome is the Tigers are 1-9 in their last 10 with an 8-game losing streak. The way they're going, they may very well lose-out and 'beat' the Giants.

    It wouldn't kill me not suck the most. But I figure since we're really sucking, it'd be nice if we had the full options afforded by drafting #1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a lot of Giants fans I was stoked to get Moore (former top prospect, a couple of really good years in Tampa, and only 27 had me thinking he could blossom into an ace) but after this year I'm ready to throw in the towel on him he's been that bad. I think it's a between the ears problem but that's just personal opinion, and if it is mental, then there's a chance the light bulb goes off for him and he rights the ship. For that reason I still would give him next year to see if he figures it out, but I would give him a short leash and would be ready to move him to the bullpen or cut him or whatever after a month or two of the same results.

    ReplyDelete