Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Fantasy Focus: 2016 Breakout SP's- Marcus Stroman

We'l'l switch gears a bit here and move from looking at Impact Rookies to potential breakout players.  We'll start with pitching since that seems to be what I'm best at in my own league, finding undervalued pitching.

Marcus Stroman, RHP.  DOB:  5/1/1991.  5'9", 185 lbs.

2014:  6-1, 3.65, 130.2 IP, 7.65 K/9, 1.93 BB/9, GB/FB= 1.94.
2015:  4-0, 1.67, 27 IP, 6.00 K/9, 2.00 BB/9, GB/FB= 3.57.

Last year was supposed to be Marcus Stroman's breakout season.  I picked him up soon after his callup in 2014 and he gave my fantasy rotation a real shot in the arm.  I drafted him for something like $2 in my auction draft in 2015 only to have him tear his ACL in a freak injury and miss almost the entire season. I picked him up again as soon as I knew he was coming back before the end of the season and he gave my fantasy rotation another shot in the arm.  There is no reason to believe he will have any lingering effects from his knee injury.  Now 2016 should be his breakout.  He should be available fairly late in drafts.  Over a full season he will be incredibly valuable not just for W's and ERA but he keeps his WHIP low with very low walk rates to boot.  He won't hurt you in K's either so he will be a 4 category asset as a late round draft fantasy draft pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment