Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Scouting the 2015 Draft: Dansby Swanson

Before we get started on Dansby Swanson's profile, the Giants moved up to the #20 pick in the first round of the 2015 draft yesterday when the Toronto Blue Jays signed Russell Martin.

Dansby Swanson has played 2B for Vanderbilt the last 2 seasons, but is expected to take over their SS position for 2015 and is seen as a player who can stick at the position in the pros.  Here is his batting line from 2014:

.333/.411/.475, 27 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 22 SB, 5 CS, 37 BB, 49 K's in 282 AB.  As you can see, he is a contact hitter with gap power and some speed who can draw a walk.

On video, he has a short, quick swing with almost no load, kind of a RH version of Joe Panik.

BA ranks him #6 on their list of 2015 draft prospects while Kiley McDaniel has him at #7.

1 comment:

  1. VERY SSS, but I watched this kid a little in the CWS and his defense looked rough. I commented to my cousin, a Vandy fan, about that, and he informed me of his prospect status. I was quite surprised based on the one game I saw.

    I guess that's why I don't get paid as a scout.

    ReplyDelete