Friday, August 31, 2012

Down on the Farm: 8/30/2012

AAA  Reno Aces defeated the Fresno Grizzlies 5-3:

Todd Linden(RF)- 2 for 4, HR(11).  BA= .280.
Jackson Williams(C)- 2 for 3.  BA= .254.

AA  Richmond Flying Squirrels edged the Harrisburg Senators 5-4:

Juan Perez(LF)- 2 for 5, 2B.  BA= .308.
Johnny Monell(C)- 2 for 4, 2 HR(11).  BA= .251.
Justin Fitzgerald(RHP)- 7 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 7 K's, GO/AO= 11/2.  ERA= 3.22.
Jacob Dunnington(RHP)- 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K.  ERA= 1.84.

 I think Fitz is an underrated pitching prospect.

High A  San Jose Giants pounded the Lake Elsinore Storm 10-3:

Joe Panik(SS)- 3 for 6.  BA= .297.
Andrew Susac(C)- 4 for 6, 3B.  BA= .244.
Jarrett Parker(CF)- 3 for 5, 2B, 3B, BB.  BA= .247.
Bobby Haney(2B)- 4 for 5, 2 2B.  BA= .317.
Taylor Rogers(RHP)- 6 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 0 BB, 4 K's.  ERA= 4.14.

Panik's drive to .300 continues!  Susac is hitting .333/.370/.524 over his last 10 games.  He has a .353 OBP overall.  What do folks make of Parker?  He's only hitting .247 but has an OPS of .817 with 15 HR and 26 SB and is playing CF.

Low A  Augusta Greenjackets beat the Rome Braves 5-1:

Shawn Payne(LF)- 0 for 0, 2 BB, HBP.  SB(53).  BA= .311.
Myles Schroder(3B-LF)- 2 for 4, BB.  BA= .137.
Elliott Blair(CF)- 2 for 2, 2B, HR(3), BB, HBP.  BA= .198.
Adalberto Mejia(LHP)- 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K's.  ERA= 3.97.
Brett Krill(DH)- 0 for 5.  BA= .292.

Payne came out of the game for a PH.  Not sure if it's related to the HBP.  I would say Brett Krill's drive to .300 hit the wall in this one.

Short Season  Tri-City Dust Devils outscored the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes by 2 field goals, 16-10:

Mike Merganthaler(1B)- 1 for 5, HR(2).  BA= .212.
Chuckie Jones(CF)- 1 for 3, BB.  BA= .246.
Mac Williamson(RF)- 2 for 4, 2B.  BA= .339.
Trevor Brown(C)- 3 for 4.  BA- .207.
Gaspar Santiago(LHP)- 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K.  ERA= 1.59.

I forgot about Willliamson when I listed my top 5 Giants hitting prospects in the discussion from yesterday's games.  I would rank him #4 behind Brown, Panik and Cabrera.  I would rank Jones #5.

Rookie AZL  Looks like the AZL regular season is over with the Giants out of the playoffs finishing 6 games back of the A's in the AZL East.  The Giants final record was a not shabby 32-24.

11 comments:

  1. Parker has improved his contact rate from the low 50s to 70%, in a repeat the league scenario. I have only seen him on TV a couple times now, but I hate his batting stance and swing. Stranger things have happened but I predict that big bad Eastern eats him alive. He can draw a walk and hits with power, and some speed. We are almost done with the year, Parker has lost 8 points of BA, gained 7 points of OBP, and gained 52 points of slg. I think that shows... he is who he is. That BA is way too low for low-A ball. Non-prospect in my book.

    Good to see Panik scorching. Also good to see Susac keep his obp up. Who knows, we are spoiled by Panda recovering from the hammate (although I would note this time around seems to have limited the power more than last year). Susac is getting his bearings as a catcher, he needs to turn it up next year with the bat.

    I think Brown, Panik, Cabrera, Williamson and somebody is a nice list. I like Mac! not sold on Jones but he is so young and appears to be doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I messed up that contact rate equation, I divided PAs instead of ABs. Its actually still at 58%. Awful. I am not a fan of Parker.

      Delete
    2. Let Parker try the machine that has helped Belt and Noonan.

      Delete
    3. I don't think much of Parker either as prospect, but his combo of power and speed is interesting if he can keep it up at the higher levels. Will have to prove it at each level for me, I agree, AA will be a big test for him.

      Yeah, I wonder who the Giants have tried on La Machine and why they don't try more hitters on it.

      Delete
    4. What is the machine?

      Delete
    5. I don't recall the exact details but the machine is some sort of visual feedback machine, I think.

      Delete
  2. I am not familiar with this Cabrera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gustavo Cabrera, 16 yo July 2 signing out of the DR. Rated by some scouts as the best tools in this year's international class.

      Delete
    2. We paid 7 figures for him ($1.3M?) and he was rated in the top 5 by two different experts (he was first in one, fifth in another). One of the big international signings of this year, and was the first one, if I recall right. Some felt that Cabrera could have signed for more, but the Giants apparently had built a relationship with the family and they preferred to sign with the Giants.

      Delete
    3. I seem to recall that signing, putting us close to our allotted international money.

      Where is he playing now?

      Delete
    4. He might be playing in something called the July 2 league for which stats are not available. Players signed on or after July 2 are not allowed to participate in the DSL or for other affiliated teams until the following season. If the Giants stay true to form with their prior 7 figure signings, Angel Villalona and RafRod, we'll see Cabrera in Arizona next summer.

      Delete