Monday, January 9, 2012

Down on the Farm: #15 Adalberto Mejia

#15 Adalberto Mejia, LHP. 6'3", 195 lbs. BD: 6/20/1993.

DSL: 5-2, 1.42, 76 IP, 8 BB, 71 K.

Ordinarily, I list players from the DSL Giants in a separate group that I call Dominican Dandies. Adalberto Mejia just feels like enough of a special case that I'm listing him in the regular top 50 and fairly high at that. Mejia is one of a growing number of Giants international prospects signed to a mid-6 figure bonus, apparently on the theory that several of those are better than one 7 figure bonus. I have to say I subscribe to that theory myself.

Gotta love the size, perfect for a pitcher. Mejia dominated the DSL like nobody I can remember. The final stat line doesn't tell the half of it as he allowed 6 of the 10 total ER and 3 of the 8 total BB's he allowed all season in the last 2 games when he might have gotten a bit fatigued. Before that, he was simply magical.

I don't know much about Mejia's stuff. I think I've read he's in the low 90's with the fastball, obviously with great command. Not sure about the secondary stuff. The Giants brought him to the states for the fall instructional league. I expect to see him pitch in Arizona rookie ball next summer but with an outside shot at Low A Augusta.

6 comments:

  1. First, I like that he is a LHP and we need more depth at lefty. Second, he is jumped out ahead of all of the other DSL pitchers as the top pitcher. It is always good to see the leader of a pack. He is young and it would be okay if he stays in Arizona all of next year. We don't want to rush him. If he dominates in Arizona then maybe he could jump Augusta and pitch in San Jose in 2013. Either way we have time with this kid and maybe a late callup in 2014 or out of the gates in 2015 he could be the lefty complement to Bumgarner.

    DrB, good work on the prospects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good choice of Mejia (I have him at #17 on my list). Looks like he has terrific upside. I, too, am okay with him staying in AZ this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call DrB on Mejia

    I had Mejia on my list at #18 but I can see this kid fitting just about anywhere between #9-25 on a prospect list. I read somewhere that he has hit 92 on the gun but is usually at 88-90 mph.

    I had a talk with the OU pitching coach when my son went there for a showcase camp and he told us they can usually get another 6-8 mph out of a 18 year old kid over 2 years of development.

    We have seen a few kids that have gained at least 4 mph between HS and college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mejia is why I love these lists. The guy is years away, but you really can have a wet dream over this kid. The stats are Bumgarneresq in dominance. He is probably the highest ceiling player we have given his age. Going to be really interested to see him in action in AZ this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign me up for more Mejia!!!

    Wow, dominating stuff! And if he can add MPH, that would be the whip cream on top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big Mejia fan just based on his numbers. And, when you add the fact that he did this all as a 17 year old makes the feat even that more impressive. I definitely am looking forward to him coming state-side, even if it is only to the Arizona Rookie League. At 18, the Giants can afford to be patient in developing him.

    ReplyDelete