Sunday, April 10, 2011

Game Wrap 4/10/2011: Cardinals 6 Giants 1

I think we can dispatch the game wrap today quickly. Just one of those games they aren't going to win. I didn't see the game because I as in Lake Elsinore watching the SJ Giants, but you can tell just from the box score that the team was flat after all the celebrating. Just have to move on and get ready for the Dodgers. Key Lines:

Freddy Sanchez- 2 for 4. BA= .314. That's pretty much it. Freddy was the only player with multiple hits. He scored the lone run on a single by Sandoval.

Barry Zito- 5.1 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 5 BB, 1 K. ERA= 5.56. Zito was tied at 1 going to the 6'th inning and then the wheels came off. You can tell from his line that it was just a matter of time, which it likely will be all season and the rest of his career. Yeah, he'll have his quality starts, but when a soft tosser is walking that many batters and striking out that few, it's always just a matter of time.

With the loss, the Giants' record dropped to 4-5 putting them in last place in the NL West, 2.5 games ahead of division leading Colorado Rockies who edged the Pirates 6-5. The Dodgers are in second place 1.5 games behind the Rockies and 1 game ahead of the Giants.

The Giants take on the Dodgers the next 3 games starting tomorrow night with Madison Bumgarner facing Clayton Kershaw. I had a dream a couple of years ago when Bumgarner was dominating the Sally League that someday he would walk off the mound with a 1-0 victory over Clayton Kershaw and the Dodgers. Maybe tomorrow night will be when it happens, but most likely not. Bum is still finding his way in the majors while Kershaw is one of the most dominating pitchers in the game. I guess you could say Bumgarner is where Kershaw was 2 years ago!

5 comments:

  1. bochy made two mistakes today, both may have been calculated

    first, he sat derosa and played huff in left

    derosa owns lohse and is a better fielder than huff....and his legs are fresher....but i think bochy wants to build up huffs confidence...thing is, it isnt working, and huff lost a ball into the gap....and is now running like a 90 year old man

    the other mistake, was that after 2 walks in the 6th, bochy stuck with zito

    zito is now reuter, with a much bigger contract and less control...he hits 90 pitches, and he is history

    mota became the sacrificial lamb

    nate hit the ball hard twice, but it found outfielders

    rowand hit the ball hard twice...both found infielders

    lohse was given the inside corner all game...kept the guys off balance

    good thing about tomorrow, kershaw will not have shadows in the early innings....maybe he will be a bit off, but its gonna be hard without a true leadoff guy

    fontenot reverted to form today....got the hat trick and a weak fly ball

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this sounds extreme, but I thing the Giants have a decision to make. They either send Belt down to Fresno for more seasoning and put Huff back at first base, where he is obviously much more comfortable, or else trade Huff! Huff simply is not an OF. Filling in here and there is one thing, full time he is definitely not. Huff must have trade value though He's a good hitter with a very reasonable contract. Based on what I've seen of Belt, I'd send him down, and I like what I've seen so far. I just don't think he's quite ready and the Giants need to get this settled before the Rockies run away with the division.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't really blame Bochy for sticking with Zito after how much the pen has been used in the last two games and with the Dodgers coming up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I want to send Belt down just yet. The confidence factor kind of bothers me. The Giants stated they wouldn't hype anymore like they did Posey. Well, kiss my grits if they didn't go overboard with Belt. Way to much pressure on Belt and I think he is really feeling it. ive him a tad more time - it isn't like he looks overmatched at the plate. The Giants keep grabbing these young kids who are humble and camera shy to point. I was a country boy like them, however, I wasm't on the same planet with these guys sports wise, but what they have faced is incredible from where they are from. I would have crapped my drawers. I am not sure I have ever seen such a bunch of humble kids in my lifetime. All these years of being a Giants fan, I really love this team and the only thing this team is missing is a young Willie Mays. Bummer... There can only be one Willie however. Thanks for all the good stuff Doc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, after living more than half a lifetime, I have finally come to terms with the idea that there is probably only 1 Willie Mays in a lifetime. Juan Marichal too. I know there will never be another Juan. The game has changed too much. The wonderful thing is, in his own way, Timmy is even better than Juan! Maybe when my daughter is 54 years old, she will be saying, "Damn! Maybe there will never be another Buster Posey!"

    ReplyDelete