Thursday, January 6, 2011

Down on the Farm: 2010 Giants Top 50 Prospect Review- #48 Jorge Bucardo

#48 Jorge Bucardo, RHP. Low A: 9-4, 2.21, 114 IP, 31 BB, 95 K's, GO/AO=2.17. A+: 2-2, 4.42, 38.2 IP, 19 BB, 26 K, GO/AO= 1.75.

OK, I admit that #48 was way too low to rank Jorge Bucardo in last year's prospect list. I'm still not sure where I should have ranked him, but #48 was too low. Bucardo had a fine season, mostly at Augusta where as a 20 yo, he was one of the better pitchers in the league and age appropriate for low A ball. He wasn't quite the same after a late season promotion to San Jose, but he may have been getting fatigued by that time. I'm still not all that excited about Bucardo for some reason. Just because a player is young for his league doesn't automatically make him a high-ceiling player. Bucardo is an extreme groundball pitcher with unexceptional K rates. My concern is what happens as he gets to higher levels and faces batters who can elevate those pitches better. I'm just skeptical that he projects well in situations where his K rate is bound to be lower as well as his groundball rate. Maybe I'm just reacting to those who I think are irrationally exuberant about his record in the lower minors, but I continue to think there is a high probability of his career stalling out at a higher level.

6 comments:

  1. I like bucardo, but these people who see him in the top 10 remind me of past pucetas followers when dominated low a and a ball. Hope this guy will hold up better and not get hit hard as he moves up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although his K rates aren't exceptional, they aren't poor enough to look at them and say he doesn't miss bats. His walk rate in Augusta wasn't all that bad either. Although ERA and Record are a bit deceiving in the lower levels, I think Bucardo is probably right around a #25-#20 prospect.

    If he can improve his K/BB rate while consistently keeping a groundball rate ~2 in a whole season in San Jose, I would think he would solidify himself as legitimate prospect at 20/21 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree San Jose is a big challenge for him. If he can duplicate his Augusta numbers at San Jose in 2011, he would move up a lot in my book. I could live with a #20-25 ranking, but definitely not top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe it took me so long to find this blog. It's nice to have insight on Giants prospects from a Giants fan...I'm going to start linking to your comments regarding prospects (I'm currently doing a series of posts on Giants prospects). Also, do you want to do a link exchange? I could add you to the 'Friends' tab on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SP,

    Nice site. I added it to My Favorite Websites. I'll check in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. Thanks. Added you to the Friends tab.

    ReplyDelete