Saturday, December 25, 2010

Down on the Farm: 2010 Giants Top 50 Prospect Review- #21 Ydwin Villegas

Gotta pick up the pace a bit to get this done in time to get the 2011 list done before the season starts!

#21 Ydwin Villegas, SS. Low A: .189/.215/.242.

Well, we made it all the way down to #21 before we got to a complete bust of a season. That's the silver lining here, because there just isn't any way to spin the season Villegas had as a success. He kind of showed up out of nowhere in Arizona in 2009 and put up a BA of .300+ and then hit .375 in 8 AB's with Salem-Keizer. It seemed like he would take his place on the shortstop prospect ladder behind Crawford and Adrianza. Alas, he was completely overmatched in Augusta. No average, no walks, lots of K's, no power, no speed. I guess you don't want to write off a 19 year old who can play shortstop, but I have a tough time seeing how I'm going to fit him into a 2011 Top 50 list.

5 comments:

  1. I am so addicted to this blog that sometime back in September, I was concern that you would not post consistently during the winter. I figured the season ends in early October, and spring training starts in mid-Feb. There'll be 130 or so days to cover. OK, he'll need to review his top 50 list, scratch off 50 days. The new list, another 50 days. What about the remaining 30 days. That's when the org depth chart idea came. I'll suggest that. Another 10 days. A few days for misc such as Rule 5, trades, etc. Well, I can live with a few days without update from this blog...

    Happily, the Giants' extend run in post season took care of 30 days. Then as the number of misc post rolls in with the reviews, I started to think that I can get through the winter. Then came the realization that you might not finish the top 50 list until the June draft :-)

    By the way, I know doing the organizational depth chart is not easy, that's why I am asking you to do it instead of me. Keep in mind that as ESPN and others have found, there is no accountability in sports prediction. It's not like people will remember the staircase 20 years from now...

    Seriously though, I do greatly appreciate your effort in this. A belated Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: Thanks for the props. Got a bit burned out by the end of the World Series, but got recharged quickly. I'm trying to not put too much pressure on myself and just post what comes naturally. Will take another look at organization depth charts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dr B,

    Speaking of depth charts ... How do you like the Giants system depth at the shortstop position compared to others minors’ league systems ?
    I had a general impression from all I could read, that there were no sure thing/star in the making at this position in most of the farm systems.

    Happy Holidays to you and all the readers.

    GIP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shortstop is a very thin position in most organizations. When a guy like Alcides Escobar can be the centerpiece of a trade that gets you a Zack Grienke with cost-certainty for 2 years, that tells you something.

    With regards to just the shortstop position, I'd rank the Giants about in the middle of the pack. No sure things, but enough depth that there is a decent chance one of them will eventually become a league average starter at the position.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Villegas has this going for his season: he was just 19.

    ReplyDelete