Monday, August 30, 2010

Down on the Farm: 08-30-2010

AAA Salt Lake City Bees outslugged the Fresno Grizzlies 15-11:

Ryan Rohlinger- 3 for 5. BA= .320.
Jesus Guzman- 4 for 6, 2 2B. BA= .314.
Brandon Belt- 4 for 6, 2B, HR(2), SB(2). BA= .217.
Denny Bautista- 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K. ERA= 3.00.
Dontrelle Willis- 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K. ERA= 8.10.

What a way to break out of a slump for Belt! Nice inning from Willis in a game hardly anyone else pitched well in.

AA Erie Seawolves downed the Richmond Flying Squirrels 4-2:

Nothing to see here.

High A Stockton Ports defeated the San Jose Giants 9-5:

James Simmons- 1 for 4, HR(12). BA= .253.
Wendell Fairley- 1 for 4, HR(1). BA= .294.
Andrew Romo- 2.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 5 K's. ERA= 8.22.

Fairley has a nice BA, but this was his first HR of the season? Really? A much improved outing for Romo from his Cal League debut.

Low A Lakewood Blueclaws nipped the Augusta Greenjackets 3-2:

Ryan Cavan- 1 for 4, HR(16). BA= .278.
Luke Anders- 1 for 4, 2B. BA= .292.
Tommy Joseph- 1 for 4, 2B. BA= .235.
Kelvin Marte- 6.1 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 BB, 4 K's. ERA= 2.73.

This might be Marte's longest outing as a professional pitcher. He was a reliever in the DSL from what I remember. I'm sure it's his longest in the 'States, well maybe in 2008. He started 7 games and pitched 35 innings that year in the AZL before going down with TJ. He made 5 starts last year for Augusta, but pitched a total of only 21 innings.

Short Season Vancouver Canadians edged the Salem-Keizer Volcanoes 6-5:

Julio Izturis- 2 for 4. BA= .283.
Mike Murray- 1 for 4, HR(2). BA= .345.
Devin Harris- 2 for 4, 2B. BA= .216.
Edwin Escobar- 5 IP, 4 H, 5 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K's. ERA= 5.28.

Rookie AZL Reds won the first game of the first round of the AZL playoffs over the Giants 6-5:

Gary Brown- 2 for 5, 3B.
Carlos Willoughby- 1 for 3, 2 BB.
Joe Staley- 1 for 4, 2B, BB.
Austin Fleet- 4 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 2 K's.
Mike Kickham- 1 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 3 K's.
Heath Hembree- 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K's.

At least Kickham had the K's going.

DSL Giants blanked the Reds 7-0 in game 1 of the DSL Championship Series:

Danny Mujica- 2 for 4, BB.
Alberto Robles- 2 for 4.
Luis Vasquez- 3 for 4, 2B.
Joan Gregorio- 7 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 6 K's.

A dominant start in a post season game for Gregorio. I think we have ourselves a prospect!

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!

    Fairley has a pretty bad year, after-all. I never looked at his numbers in any depth. I just saw the BA and figured he was beginning to figure it out. But closer examination shows he is hitting a VERY hollow .294. In 414 PAs (entering Monday's game, I assume) he only had 15 doubles with no trips or HRs. His slash line was .294/.365/.335/.700 while only going 8/14 on the base-paths. His OBP is OK, but with no base-stealing prowess, and absolutely zero XBH power, what good is he?

    It may still be one year too early, but I would not be entirely shocked to see him cut loose after this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Fairley made some progress this year, but the Giants organizational OF situation has gotten a lot stronger, so yeah, I'd say he's falling well behind the pack. Right now, I'd rank Neal, Peguero, Brown, Parker, RafRod and Chuckie Jones well ahead of him. Juan Perez had a much better season too. Even Nick Liles, a corner OF with no power to speak of, at least steals some bases!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juan, not Joan? :^)

    Yeah, Fairley has been a disappointment but picks that far back of the first round typically fizzle out at some point. We probably should have seen that this was not going to end well when all the early reports on him were about all the bad stuff he was doing as a teenager, and even after he was signed, there was some dustup about a phone and his girlfriend and the mother of his child, or something like that.

    I would agree with DrB's ranking, though I would add Belt to the mix, at the top. And I am liking Brown more the more I think of him, I might rank him above Peguero right now, since Peguero isn't hitting all that well (for the minors) nor running that well (~60% success rate stealing), and he's not young relative to the league either. And I would have to think hard between Neal and Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure the dude in the DSL's name is Joan. I've worked with a spanish speaking dude who's first name was Joan. It was pronounce yo-ahn or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is joan.. I grew up with him in DR.. Im living in the US now and I'm impressed how he was able to sign.. When we were in a baseball program in DR couple of years ago, He was trowing 71 and I bet he is in the 90's now.. I threw 80 by that time and now I can't throw more than 87.. I can see that he is really tall now too... I'm really happy for his future. Hope I can see him in the minors here in the US..

    ReplyDelete