Sunday, April 4, 2010

Spring Training Update: Game Wrap- 04-04-2010

This was a game that should not have been scheduled. I guess it was just too tempting to get a few more $$$ from tickets and concessions. Easter Sunday, no other exhibitions scheduled in all of baseball, the team heading out for an opening road trip, uh-uh! The game was mercifully shortened by rain as the Giants lost to the Seattle Mariners. Key lines:

John Bowker- 1 for 2. BA= .312

Nate 1 for 1. BA= .273.

Todd Wellemeyer- 3 IP, 3 H, 6 BB, 3 K's. I don't think you can make anything out of a game like this, but Wellemeyer has been bedeviled by wildness in the past. I'd be a lot more concerned, but the Giants seem to have several options if Wellemeyer falters in the regular season.

Bruce Bochy announced that John Bowker is the starting RF. I don't agree with this decision, but it's hard to say that Bowker didn't earn it. I just think that the job was Nate's to lose going in. Although he did struggle mightily at times this spring, he had been hitting better in the last week. I don't think Nate played badly enough to lose the job. I just hope that having given the job to Bowker, they give him a fair chance to keep it rather than put Nate out there again as soon as Bowk takes a collar. I predict that Bowker's ultimate success or failure in RF will be determined by his D, which I believe is clearly not up to Nate's standards.

That's it for Spring Training. I think I've enjoyed this one more than any other I can remember. Blogging on a daily basis certainly adds a new perspective I had never experienced even from posting almost daily on sfgiants.com Message Board. I may not get every single game in this year, but I'll try to post a daily Game Report. Once the minor leagues kick in, I will also do a Down on the Farm daily report. I'll keep you updated on the progress of my fantasy team, the Savvy Vets and sprinkle in some historical memories from time to time. Looking forward to a great season. I hope you all find this site worth sticking around for.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog to date. Thanks for putting in the time.

    In the San Jose Giants website, there is an article that listed some minor league cuts. Besides Oseguera and Maroul, Ryan Shaver, Dan Griffin, Todd Jennings, Bobby Felmy, Vladimir Frias and maybe a few more (I am typing off the top of my head) have been cut. None of these is really surprising although I thought the Giants would have more patience with Griffin and Frias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and commenting.

    Oseguera and Griffin would be the biggest surprises for me. I guess this is a good sign that the Giants think they have better options to fill those roster spots. As the farm system gets stronger they will run out of space for the more marginal prospects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the blog. i checked daily on the sfgiants message board to see your updates and am now enjoying checking this site daily. Have you been getting the views/response that you had hoped for by starting your own blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. DrB Rules!!!!!
    Great Giants blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very gratified by the response to the blog. Wouldn't mind more comments, but I can tell people are reading and seem to like it. Thanks again everybody!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Fresno, Richmond, and San Jose rosters have been posted. The only real surprise is the placement of some of the "veterans", Timpner and Tony Pena in AA. There are still too many old non-roster invitee types in Fresno, and even Richmond for my taste, but the position players look pretty good, especially the Richmond lineup.

    ReplyDelete