Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Training Update: Game Wrap 03-30-2010

Todd Wellemeyer did what a #5 starter is supposed to do, but the bullpen failed to do it's job and the hitters came up just short as the Giants dropped a 5-3 decision to the Cubbies today. Key lines:

Aaron Rowand: 3 for 3, 2 2B. Rowand seems to have made his peace with being more of a line drive hitter than trying to loft it out of the park. Let's hope he stays in that zone, because I think he can be a good leadoff hitter as long as he isn't trying to hit his way back to the middle of the order.

Edgar Renteria- 0 for 4. BA= .259. At one point, it looked like Rent's bat might be coming alive, but this is bad.

Mark DeRosa- 2 for 4, 2B, HR(1), Assist(Byrd at home). BA= .295. I think DeRosa will be a solid addition to the lineup.

Todd Wellemeyer- 7 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 BB, 4 K's. Left the game tied after 7 IP. That's exactly the kind of game you want from your #5. Anything more is gravy.

Guillermo Mota- 0.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 0 BB, 1 K. Mota entered in the 8'th inning after Runzler had retired the first 2 batters. Let's hope that doesn't happen in the regular season! In fact, are there any votes for keeping Joaquin and Hinshaw or Pucetas over Mota?

3 comments:

  1. Here's one vote for keeping Pucetas. Pulling himself out of that mess on Saturday to give a solid three innings convinced me he has the makeup to stay in the big leagues, and will be more useful in long relief/sixth starter role than Mota. The club already has plenty of one-inning guys already on the roster and available in Fresno.

    ReplyDelete
  2. drb: Great work on the blog! Too bad mlb.com does not not have moderators on the individual team sites because your knowledege, insight, sense of fair play, and love of the giants would improve sfgiants.com. I believe I saw a post of yours the other day. Hope you post there more often, but if not, I'll come here to see what you have to say. You have a fan. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,

    I was all for Mota a week ago, but he's started to look like, well, Guillermo Mota in his last few outings. Right now, I think I'm ready to cut him loose and go with 2 out of Pucetas, Hinshaw, Sosa and Joaquin with Casillas in extended ST/AAA as insurance. I think the last two bullpen spots are still very much in play and a lot will depend on what happens this coming weekend.

    Anon,

    Yes, the atmosphere over at sfgiants.com got pretty toxic this offseason. I will probably still post over there from time to time, but most of my energy will, obviously, have to be focused on this blog. I've gotten a strong response so far and I think my content is competitive in the Giants/baseball oriented blogosphere, so I'm very motivated to keep it going.

    ReplyDelete