Monday, March 8, 2010

College Corner: Weekend Wrap

Here's a rundown on some of the college CF prospects and how they performed this weekend. Lots of good stuff:

Jarrett Parker, Virginia- 5 for 17, 2B, BB, HBP. Season line- .357..449/.524, 0 HR, 1 SB.

Leon Landry, LSU- 7 for 13, 2 3B, 3 BB, SF. Season line- .368/.444/.526 with 6 SB, 1 CS.

Tyler Holt, FSU- 5 for 13, 2B, 3B, 2 BB. Season line- .405/.521/.676, 1 HR, 2 SB, 0 CS.

Gary Brown, CS Fullerton- 9 for 15, 2B, 2 3B, HR(2), 3 SB. Brown was unconscious this weekend even though his team played poorly. Season line- .478/.489/.826, 2 HR, 7 SB, 0 CS. Anyone worried about the lack of walks?

Rico Noel, Coastal Carolina- 3 for 10, HR, BB, HBP, 2 SB. Season line- .343/.531/.543, 1 HR, 12 SB, 2 CS. Noel seems to be the most accomplished basestealer, and knows how to get on base.

Gauntlett Eldemire, Ohio- 7 for 13, 3 2B, 2 HR, HBP. Gauntlett Eldemire is my new favorite college player, well, except for my man Ricky Oropesa. Eldemire went nuts over the weekend to run his season line to .378/.477/.730!, 3 HR's, 2 SB. There is a video of him working a count to 3-2 and then hammering a HR to RF(he's a RH batter). Just go to youtube.com and search for Gauntlett Eldemire. I think this guy has all kinds of projectability. He could be another Andruw Jones type CF....before Jones fell off a cliff. What do you think?

Bryce Brentz, Middle Tennessee State- 7 for 16, 2 HR. Season line- .378/.462/.600, 2 HR, 1 SB, 1 CS. Brentz is probably not a CF, but he's playing there this year in college to try to increase his draft value, so we'll go ahead and count him.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates, Doc! I'd love to see the Giants end up with one or two of these guys in the draft.
    This might make me sound like a lazy bum, but in your updates it would be nice if you included the opposing team so we can get an idea of the level of competition. I know I could look it up myself, but since you are actually already looking up the info...

    I'd be a little skeptical of position switches just to increase draft value as opposed to a switch for the good of the team, a la Posey. This doesn't endear Brentz to me since I recall reading somewhere about possible character issues with him. Nevertheless, if the Giants drafted him I would not inflict bodily harm on myself.

    Thanks, Doc, love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Brentz can also pitch with a heater in the low 90's, so he has the arm to play RF even if he might not be quite fast enough to play CF. I'd be happy with Brentz, but he's not the only one I'd be happy with by a longshot.

    I can try to put in something about strength of competition, but College baseball is so huge, it's already a challenge to write anything halfway coherent about it.

    ReplyDelete