Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hot Stove Update: Odds and Ends

I'm down with the Wellemeyer signing. He was a very valuable innings eater in 2008 and battled some injuries last year. He's certainly worth a minor league contract. I assume he is #1 on the depth chart for #5 starter. I never once believed that the Giants would go to Spring Training with Bumgarner as the only option for #5. IMO, it would be a huge mistake to push Bum into the rotation this soon.

If anyone wants further proof of the impact defensive metrics like UZR, and overall value ratings like WAR have had on the game, just look at the FA's who are still out there starting to beg for work, Johnny Damon, Russell Branyan, Hank Blalock, Carlos Delgado, Jermaine Dye. Mike Jacobs and Jonny Gomes signed minor league deals. What do all these players have in common? They are all good to very good hitters and all have very bad UZR scores, which suppress their WAR's. No way players like this would still be begging for jobs just 2 or 3 years ago. Meanwhile a good fielder with no stick, Endy Chavez, looks like he's going to have his choice of as many as 5 teams, and he's coming off a leg injury!

My wife is from Sioux Falls, SD and really likes the Minnesota Twins, so I guess you could say the Twins are my second favorite team. I'm absolutely loving the ODog signing. What a huge upgrade he is over Nick Punto and a great price! I have to say, this signing, and the fact that Felipe Lopez is still on the market is making the Freddy Sanchez deal look worse and worse. I don't know about you, but I would rather have ODog than Sanchez at the same price, let alone a fraction of the cost, and that's with Sanchez fully healthy! I might say the same for Lopez too.

I don't expect Yorvit Torrealba to have anywhere near the season he had for Colorado last year. It's not just power that Petco suppresses and Coors enhances. Sinkers sink and breaking balls break in that sea level air!

2 comments:

  1. The Type A status of Odog doesn't deter you at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Dodgers declined to offer arbitration, so the Type A status doesn't matter. The Twins get to keep their draft pick.

    ReplyDelete