Monday, February 15, 2010

Giants Top 50 Prospects #40: Charlie Culberson

#40 Charlie Culberson. 2B. B-R, T-R. BD: 04-10-1989. 6'1", 185 lbs.

2009 Stats: Low A- .246/.303/.306, 15 SB, 4 CS, 40 errors(at 3B).

Charlie Culberson, like Wendell Fairley is going to have to show some progress soon. The Giants took him higher in the 2007 draft than his ranking on most draft boards, but they really liked him as a prospect. Unfortunately, he's really struggled so far. The Giants haven't given up on him and are planning on promoting him to high A San Jose. They apparently have given up on him playing the left side of the infield and have penciled him in as the starter at 2B. 2B is not necessarily an easier row to hoe as he has Nick Noonan in front of him and Carlos Willoughby and Julio Izturis coming up from behind. 2010 will be an extremely important year for Charlie.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Doc. I don't have Culberson anywhere near my Top 40. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't make my Top 50. I think I'd rank Juan Perez above Charlie. Tell me what you're thinking here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doc,

    Good stuff again. Keep it coming. You mentioned Izuturis, I'm surprised you didn't have him ranked in front of Culberson..OTOH, we only have his time at AZL to go on....Other position players that can be thrown into the hat and picked out could also be Evan Crawford, Drew Biery (a bit old for S-K), Ryan Cavan. But all six of one and a half dozen of the other

    However, one pitcher I'm surprised to not see yet is Aaron KING..He had some troubles last year but at 20 (now) at Low A Augustga in the 2nd half he went 4-1 2.75 ERA 52IP/52K and a .187 BAA..I think this kid might even rise above the pitchers listed in the 30's...But only speculation..and only time will tell..I'm guessing you will have him up pretty soon along with guys like Buchardo, Gloor?

    Dang, and theise kids will be playing for real in jsut a few days!

    SteveVA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyle,

    I would not have ranked Culberson either until I found out the Giants are projecting him as the starting 2B for San Jose. I figure if the Giants haven't given up on him, neither am I. HS draftees can look terrible for 2 or 3 years then all of a sudden break out. We'll see.

    Steve,

    King is next up. Yeah, I probably should have ranked King higher. By that time in my list, I was basically just going down the levels and tiering the prospects by level. I just didn't quite think there was enough to rank King up in the top 25 or so. I'm a bit skeptical of the rumors of his fastball getting up to 95, and I'm not in love with his delivery. That is an impressive second half split though. It will be interesting to see where he pitches this year and how he fares.

    ReplyDelete