Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Giants Top 50 Prospects #36: Eric Surkamp

#36 Eric Surkamp. LHP. BD: 07-16-1987. 6'4", 190lbs.

2009 Stats: Low A- 11-5, 3.30, 131 IP, 39 BB's, 169 K's.

A lot of Giants prospect watchers would probably rank Eric Surkamp higher than this given his size, his great K/9 and the fact that he was not particularly old for low A ball. I really don't have a rebuttal for that idea. Still, he was a 3 year college draftee and you expect college draftees, especially from a major program like NC State to dominate low A ball. I don't know too much about Surkamp's stuff, but it sure seems to miss bats, doesn't it? For now, I'm going to lump him in with the other "polished" lefthanders in the lower minors, but he could rocket into the top 20, if not higher, with another great season at San Jose, which is where I expect him to pitch in 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Doc, you going to High Desert in July to see the Baby Giants play? I will be getting my tickets in the next day or so for all 7 games. Surkamp is the one I really want to see. Tacklebox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely try to make at least one game. If it's early in the season like last year, man, it sure gets cold up there in High Desert!

    ReplyDelete