Monday, January 25, 2010

Giants Top 50 Prospects #21: Ydwin Villegas

#21 Ydwin Villegas. SS. B-S, T-R. BD: 09-01-1990. 5'10", 165 lbs.

2009 Stats: AZL(Rookie)- .302/.345/.352, 12 SB's, 3 CS. Salem Keizer(Short Season)- .375/.444/.375 in 8 AB's.

Ydwin Villegas is a slick fielding SS who produced a nice BA with some speed, but little power for the Arizona League Giants, essentially a younger version of Ehire Adrianza. Since he didn't turn 19 until the end of the season, he is likely to have considerable upside. I rated him behind Adrianza because they are essentially the same player, but Adrianza is farther up the ladder. The question I have is where will Villegas play in 2010? With Adrianza apparently ticketed for San Jose, that leaves the Giants with a choice of Villegas or Ryan Cavan and his power potential for Augusta. I have no idea what the Giants are thinking. If it was up to me, I think I'd put Cavan in Augusta with Villegas in extended spring training and then Salem-Keizer. We'll see.

4 comments:

  1. How about moving Cavan to 3B? Or even 2B, for that matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to what I've read on Adrianza, he's in a different stratosphere as Villegas defensively, who is described as playable and solid at SS (no small thing). But most of Adrianza's value is tied to the fact that scouts seem to think he'll develop into a gold-glove SS in the bigs, so his bat will play at a much lower level than Villegas'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know anything about Carlos Willousby? He's a favorite prospect of mine. He looks like a guy who plays up the middle, can fly, take walks and just learned how to hit last year. He may be a little old, but his stat line reminds me of Velez the year he blew up in Augusta. I'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyle, Glad you found it. I've always appreciated your comments over at MCC. Keep coming back!

    The Giants have Drew Biery and Chris Dominguez who need spots at 3B, so it's just as crowded as SS. Cavan put on quite a power display at the end of last season for Salem-Keizer. If he can play SS, that's an intriguing tool. Since we already have defense first/slap hitting SS prospect in Adrianza, I'd like to see Cavan get the next opportunity to move up. Villegas is young enough that a year of extended ST plus Short Season ball wouldn't really retard his development. With Crawford and Adrianza ahead of him, there's no need to push him.

    I will comment on Carlos Willoughby later in a composite post about what I call "Dominican Dandies," where I comment on DSL prospects who I think will be moving to the States. Willoughby was a tad old for the DSL, but sure had a great season.

    ReplyDelete